Opened on February 6, 1955, Grussac Naval refuge (65° 10’ 33” South, 64° 08’ 10” West), on Petermann Island, was originally named to Hipólito Bouchard. , It takes its current name in homage to Paul Groussac (1848-1929), a French writer and historian based in Argentina and author of an allegation about the Argentine sovereignty of the Falkland Islands. Close to this Argentine naval refuge ( an old corrugated iron shack in rusted colors), lays a simple cross monument, an unreadable metal plaque with just one word “John” recalls the dead of a man of the British Antarctic Survey, who tried to get here over the sea ice in 1982..
Within the framework of the 2017-2018 Antarctic Summer Campaign, a crew of 8 members of the Argentine Navy came to Groussac Naval Refuge with the mission of restoring it. The refuge, which did not receive maintenance work since 2007, is again fully operational, ready to be habitable and provide support to science and to the navigators who pass through there. In addition, during the repairs, the crew found the foundation’s charter of the refuge, a document of significant historical value.