The Hut (67° 32′ South, 67° 12′ West) was built in 1957 and used as a satellite and advance base for survey and geological parties for personnel based at Horseshoe Island Station “Y” (WAP GBR-14). It was also used by parties from Detaille Island Station “W” (WAP GBR-26) and Stonington Island Station “E” (WAP GBR-Ø5). The sea ice around the island had proved unreliable during the previous two seasons, limiting the amount of sled travel and survey work that could be carried out from base.
Located on the North side of Blaiklock Island, the Hut has been occupied intermittently in 1957 and 1958. Currently Blaiklock Island Hut is designated as Historic Site No. 63 under the Antarctic Treaty, 19 May 1995 (included with Horseshoe Island Station). The site has been cleaned up and minor repairs completed in Mar 1997.
Horseshoe Island Station, has been activated by Mehdi F5PFP signing VP8DLM on last March 2011.
Picture aside shows Horseshoe Island Station “Y” as it was in 1956