The Islas Malvinas Refuge, originally Antonio Moro, is an Antarctic Refuge located at 200 m a.s.l. at 63°25′ South, 56°58′ West, at Nunatak Nobby, Tabarin Peninsula, Bahía Esperanza .
It was inaugurated on August 20, 1955. It’s a metal cabin 2 m x 2 m x 2 m x 3 m with provisions for 4 people for 15 days’ worth of food, fuel, gas and a first aid kit.
The original name of the shelter was a tribute to Antonio Moro (1906-1979), an italian immigrant who participated in the founding of San Martin Base (WAP ARG-Ø8) in 1951 and who built shelters in the area of the Esperanza Base (WAP ARG-Ø4) in 1954, including the one that would bear his name. It was renamed to its current name Refugio Islas Malvinas on 26 August 1971 and rebuilt in 1988.
Refugio Islas Malvinas (WAP ARG-New) is one of the 18 shelters that are under the responsibility of the Esperanza base, which is responsible for maintenance and care. It is administered by the Argentine Army.
The shelter square is located on a rocky promontory. From there there are views of the nearby Buenos Aires Glacier (used for small plane descents), Mount Flora, and the Weddell Sea. In 1986 it was proposed that small contingents of tourists visit the refuge from the Esperanza Base.
WAP hopes that some days Refugio Islas Malvinas (WAP ARG-New) will be shown up on the air … it’s a shame to know that it is visited regularly and nobody thinks to activate it on HF.
TNX Gabry IK1NEG