The Chapel of the Snows, a non-denominational place of worship at NSF’s McMurdo Station, Antarctica, overlooks McMurdo Sound and the Royal Society mountain range.
The current chapel, dedicated in 1989, features stained glass related to the Antarctic Continent; the Erebus Chalice, a William IV silver gilt chalice carried aboard HMS Erebus by Sir James Clark Ross on his Antarctic voyage during the period 1839-43; and memorabilia from the U.S. Navy‘s involvement in Operation Deep Freeze, the precursor to the NSF-managed U.S. Antarctic Program.
The chapel’s altar comes from St. Saviour’s Chapel in Lyttelton, New Zealand, where Robert Falcon Scott worshiped prior to embarking on his Terra Nova Expedition.
Image; Andrea Dixon, NSF
The full story of the Chapel of the Snows at (WAP USA-22) can be found at: