Petrel’s Chapel  has got light

Thanks to the efforts of the staff actually on Petrel Base (WAP ARG-17) , the small Chapel of “Santo Cura Brochero” has  been equiped with electricity.

The Chapel which was previously not equipped with a power line, is named after Jose Gabriel del Rosario Brochero (16 March 1840 – 26 January 1914), a Catholic priest who suffered leprosy throughout his life. He is known for his extensive work with the poor and the sick. He became affectionately known as “the Gaucho priest” and the “cowboy priest”.
He was beatified on 14 September 2013 after a healing was recognized as a miracle attributed to him. Cardinal Angelo Amato, on the behalf of Pope Francis, presided over the beatification.

Another miracle under investigation was approved in 2016 and a date for canonization was approved in a gathering of cardinals on 15 March 2016. 

Jose Gabriel del Rosario Brochero  was canonized as a Saint on 16 October 2016.