From the history:
20 January 1957 Scott Base (WAP NZL-Ø1) a New Zealand’s permanent Antarctic research Station did open in Antarctica
As the base was named after British explorer Robert Falcon Scott, the New Zealand flag was raised on a flagstaff that had been used by Scott at Hut Point in 1903. Originally established to support the privately run Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1955-58, it was to accommodate both the New Zealand party and a party of New Zealand scientists attached to the expedition who also contributed to the International Geophysical Year. These parties were the first to spend winter over at Scott Base. At the Completion of the expedition, Scott Base became the property of the New Zealand Government in agreement with the Ross Sea Committee. Source: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/page/scott-base-opened-antarctica
Scott Base, New Zealand’s only Antarctic research station, perches on a low volcanic headland called Pram Point at the Southern End of Ross Island, 3500 kms south of Dunedin and 1350 kms from the South Pole.
Located at Pram Point, Hut Point Peninsula, Ross Island in McMurdo Sound (77 o 51′ South, 166 o 46′ East), 10 m above sea level, between October through February Scott Base is a bustling hub of science researchers. Scott Base can accommodate 85 people at any one time, during the summer season more than 300 guests stay on Base.