Antarctic expeditioners celebrated the 50th anniversary of the opening of Casey Research Station today. The station was officially opened on 19 February 1969, and named “Casey” in honour of the then Governor-General Sir Richard Casey, a staunch supporter of Australia’s early Antarctic program.
Australia’s presence in the region began a decade earlier in January 1959 when Australia took over the operation of the United States-built Wilkes station , on the Clarke Peninsula.
Director of the Australian Antarctic Division, Kim Ellis made a commemorative presentation to station leader Christine MacMillian while in his first visit to Antarctica.
Thanks and credit AAD.
CASEY Station is referenced WAP AUS-Ø2 for Antarctic chasers and WAP Award’s Program purposes.