Friedrichshafen 2023- Meeting of Antarcticians

From June 23 to 25, 2023, HAM RADIO will take place in Friedrichshafen on Lake Bodensee. The trade fair company and the conceptual sponsor, DARC e.V., are currently working on three days of full program for the 46th edition of this successful trade fair. Radio amateurs are experts in communication! Amateur radio is considered an advanced professional qualification for the fields of engineering, computer science, electrical engineering and communications technology. In the labor market, there is a strong demand for students who have degrees in these industries. Radio amateurs live and love technology. The members of the German Amateur Radio Club e.V. pass on this passion to young people in the local associations and set the first impulses for the fascination of technology and the understanding of it..
The Amateur Radio enthusiasts are spread all over the globe and can hardly wait to meet up with old friends, make new contacts and spend the next three days together.

.

Volker Strecke DL8JDX (ex: Y88POL, DP0GVN) has just informed WAP that next Friday 23. June 2023 at the Friedrichshafen City at the Restaurant Kommodore , there will be  a meeting with Antarctic Radio Operators. It will be a fantastic chance to shake hands and listen to the reports of activities from Antarctica as well as to know the plans for next Antarctic season 2023-2024. DL5XL, DC1TH, DK1BT, DL8JDX have already confirmed their presence; and some others will be there…..

.
Reservation has already been booked for the dinner at  Kommodore – Württembergischer  Yacht Club, Uferstr. 34, 88045 Friedrichshafen,  directly at the coast of Lake Bodensee on 23.6.2023 from 6.30 p.m. for 10 people is confirmed.

.
For more info or request to meet inside the Exhibition Center get in touch with Volker DL8JDX, cellphone. +49 172 3704670, e-mail info@strecke.de

.

TNX Volker Strecke, DL8JDX (pic aside)

Happy Birthday to Oleksandr Gryshko Captain of  Ukrainian Icebreaker “Noosphere”  

Oleksandr Gryshko the current Captain of the only Ukraine ice-class research vessel “Noosphere” turns 40 today. His Grandfather and father were senior mechanics, and Oleksandr’s older brother was also a Captain.

I am proud that I have the opportunity to be useful for Ukraine and contribute to its polar research,” Oleksandr remarked.
Being the Captain of a ship going to the Antarctic is an extraordinary challenge. To become a polar Captain, one need to have significant experience in ship and crew management, to get additional education and qualification, learn practical skills from an experienced Polar Captain.

When Ukraine purchased the James Clark Ross icebreaker from the UK in 2021 (later it became the Noosphere), it was the first ice-class vessel of  Ukraine in the last 20 years. “Noosphere” went on its first Antarctic voyage (2022) under the leadership of experienced British polar Captain Simon Wallace. His experience was taken over by Ukrainian captain Pavlo Panasyuk, who after that began to manage the ship himself.

In the second Antarctic season of “Noosphere” (2022-2023), Pavlo Panasyuk already transferred knowledge to Oleksandr Gryshko, who at that time, had 20 years of experience working in various seas. The first part of the ship’s journey was from Cape Town to the Polish Antarctic station Arktowsky (WAP POL-Ø1), then  to Vernadsky (WAP UKR-Ø1), and from there,  to Punta Arenas (Chile).

After this voyage, Capt. Oleksandr Gryshko already managed the ship himself. He was supposed to complete the second part of the Antarctic mission of “Noosphere”: return to Vernadsky, later to “Arktovsky”, ensuring changes of polar explorers at both stations, and reach Cape Town. The captain successfully coped with this task despite all the storms.

WAP wish Capt. Oleksandr Gryshko  a Happy Birthday

TNX Pavlo Tarasovych UT1KY, Antarctic veteran (ex EM1KY, VP8/UT1KY, LU1Z/UT1KY)
Pictures by  Nic Bothma
Read also: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2023-06-05-ukrainian-polar-captain-i-come-from-a-family-of-seamen-and-long-for-noosfera-to-return-to-my-homeland/?fbclid=IwAR2owIFr1Y2TYyerogBndJxM5HrZ70YehcDqJIamWLMuYnaN4tsnxIQURlI

RRS Sir David Attenborough back home at UK after a second Antartic season

The vessel, arrived at Harwich in Essex on Tuesday, May 30th.The crew completed its polar science trials during what was a seven-month mission.

The 129m (423ft) Polar ship is due to leave again on 8 June for refitting work in Rosyth, Scotland, before being used for further trials on the Scottish coast.

The boat departed Harwich in November last year, before a three-week voyage to the Falkland Islands, and then onward to the Rothera Research Station at Antarctica.  A team of 37 scientists were left at Bird Island (WAP GBR-23), King Edward Point (WAP GBR-24) and Rothera (WAP GBR-12) to carry out further research.

The ship is scheduled to return to Antarctica for a third season in late October 2023.

Unfortunately a very marginal HF activity has been performed from onboard so far. Hams WW are looking for a chance to put a new Polar ship on their Logs …let’s hope!

For now, thanks to Mike GM0HCQ/MM for his very short activity

Thanks and Credit BBC- Read more at: RRS Sir David Attenborough returns to Harwich from Antarctica – BBC News

Over 15,000 QSOs from LU1ZV Base Esperanza (WAP ARG-Ø3)

WAP has received some notes sent by Alejandro LU8YD the operator at Esperanza Base (WAP ARG-Ø4)  in February and March 2023 and at LU4ZS Marambio Base  (WAP ARG-21) in April 2023.

 

Alejandro wrote: In the austral summer of 2023 at Esperanza Base (WAP ARG-Ø4) we did operate LU1ZV  on all  bands (160 trough 6 meters) on SSB, CW, FM, FT8, FT4 and Opera,  together with Juan Carlos Benavente LU8DBS and Juan Pablo Arena LU6DX .

According to the information in our hands,  the 2023’s Ham radio activity would have been the largest operation from Antarctica in bands and modes with extraordinary results on 6 meters and perhaps the first to operate on FT8, FT4 and FM on 29 MHz in addition to the new 60 meter band. All the hamradio operation are performed from inside the building of LRA36  Radio Nacional Arcangel San Gabriel, using its rombic antenna  

On the other hand, we have participated in two international competitions; the South American Lighthouse Weekend and extensive research work on Antarctic radio propagation. We left a 6m radio beacon running 24/7 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) to study propagation. The LU1ZV February – March operation reached the approximate amount  of 13,000 QSOs.  April 2023 operation, add other  2500 QSOs.

Currently and for a few more months,  LU1ZV is only operated by LU8DBS, Juan C. Benavente  on SSB and FT8. The LU1ZV activations have the support of the “Uniendo Voces” a project of the National University of Quilmes (Buenos Aires province).

Just about LU4ZS, LU1HCQ operates for the remainder of the year 2023.

My professional assignment in Antarctica Argentina, says Alejandro,  was to work on the improvement of LRA36 station and to assist in the maintenance of Antarctic radio communications of these two Argentine bases.

Just to remind the Readers and Antarctic hunters the LU1ZV/B 50 MHz radio beacon, in its CW & FT8 multimode modality at 50.313 MHz.

TNX Alejandro Daniel Alvarez LU8YD

WAP NOR-14, Reference issued to 3YØJ

Kapp Fie , 54° 27′ South,  3° 28′ East, at the  South East side of Bouvetøya (Bouvet Island), has been issued a reference  NOR-14 on WAP-WADA Directory.

QSL Manager MØOXO is busy to send the cards  which are now coming on the mail.

The Expedition set his Camp at  Cape Fie (aka Kapp Fie),  at the South East part of Bouvet island  the only the only moderately safe place to stay . Those who have followed the vicissitudes of such a difficult expedition will certainly have lived with the operators the most dangerous moments of this adventure which will remain in the annals of WW DX-peditions

Cape Fie almost certainly won’t be repeated, so whoever has had the ability and luck to work 3Y0J, can be sure of having hit the mark

WAP wishes to express a sincere thanks to the daring Operators of this dangerous and at the same time fascinating adventure.

Bulgarian Polar Research Vessel “Sv. Sv. Kiril i Metodiy (RSV-421)”

The Bulgarian Polar Research Vessel “Sv. Sv. Kiril i Metodiy (RSV-421)” is owned by a consortium consisting of the Naval Academy, the St Kliment Ohridski University of Sofia and the Bulgarian Antarctic Institute. The Sv. Sv. Kiril i Metodii was ceremoniously christened and commissioned into the Bulgarian Navy inventory on July 27, 2021.

Before the ship’s first polar mission, it was repaired, modernised and refitted in Varna. On December 27, 2022, RSV 421 set sail from Varna Marine Station, marking the beginning of the 31st Bulgarian Antarctic Expedition to the Bulgarian Polar Base on Livingston Island, part of the South Shetland Islands. The ship was loaded with building materials and equipment needed for the construction of a laboratory as part of the Bulgarian Base.

 
After a 127-day voyage to the Bulgarian base on Livingston Island and back, the first Bulgarian naval research vessel Sv. Sv. Kiril i Metodii (RSV 421) returned home, docking Tuesday May 2nd 2023 at the Varna Marine Station.

 In the way back home, the Bulgarian naval Research Vessel Sv. Sv. Kiril i Metodii (RSV 421) crossed the Ionian Sea along its southern boundary with the Mediterranean, sailing eastwards, in the evening hours of April 23, 2023.

Now the Polar ship is docked at   Bulgarian port city of Varna (on the Black Sea) after fully completing its participation in the 31st Bulgarian Antarctic Expedition to Livingston Island, Antarctica

With the sailing of the first military Research Vessel Sv. Sv. Kiril i Metodii (RSV 421) to Antarctica, Bulgaria has proven itself to be a Maritime and Polar Nation, said Prof. Hristo Pimpirev last Tuesday, May 2nd, in Varna, when at the local Marine Station he did wait to meet the returning RSV 421 which docked at 10 a.m. After the ship docks, scientists will take the samples collected during the expedition and start examining them.

Thanks and Credit: Bulgarian Research Vessel RSV 421 Returns Home After 127-Day Voyage to Antarctica (spa.gov.sa)

and: BTA :: Voyage of RSV 421 Proved Bulgaria Is “a Sea-faring, Polar Nation” – Antarctic Research Professor

Antonio Huneeus Gana Summer Base, WAP CHL-15

Antonio Huneeus Gana Summer Base was a semi-permanent  Chilean Antarctic Camp, located in the Chilen Antarctic Territory, in charge of the Chilean Antarctic Institute (INACH).

The Base is located at 80°18’ South, 81°20’ West, just  1 km from the Patriot Hills Camp (WAP MNB-Ø2)  of the private company Adventure Network International at 80°18’07” South, 81°20’39” West,

The station takes his name from Don Antonio Huneeus Gana (1870-1951), Chilean Minister of Foreign Affairs , the first to think about  Chile’s scientific interest in the Antarctic regions. On July 1906, Don Antonio Huneeus Gana asks the Minister of the Navy to prepare an expedition to  Elephant Islands, New Orkney New Shetland and the Antarctic Continent”. in order to verify a reconnaissance of lands and seas and to carry out scientific research, especially magnetic, according to the communication.

On January 2009 , Adam Brown K2ARB was operating from Antonio Huneeus Gana Base as CE9/K2ARB qualifying the issue the reference   WAP CHL-15 on WAP-WADA Directory.

WAP doesn’t have evidence of any other Hamrdio operation from  Antonio Huneeus Gana Base before Adam Brown K2ARB, so CE9/K2ARB remains the unique one so far toh ave operated from that rare Chilean Base, unless we will find some other old one!

Prof. Lyubomir Ivanov-Antarctic map with 95 Bulgarian names

Prof. Lyubomir Ivanov is the National Representative of Bulgaria  to SCAR SCAGI and Chairman of the Antarctic Place-names Commission at Ministry of Foreign Affairs-Republic of Bulgaria. Lyubo is Chairman, Toponymic Board at National Centre for Polar Studies as well.

WAP readers might be interested to know of a recently published Bulgarian map of Bowles Ridge and Tangra Mountains on Livingston Island, South Shetlands (SCAR Map # 15864). 

Livingston Island was discovered on 19 February 1819 by the Briton William Smith and was the first land now governed by the international Antarctic Treaty system. The first inhabitants of the island were American and British seal hunters, and their are the early geographical discoveries and toponyms in the area. Seal hunters today are inherited by scientists, as well as fishermen, among whose pioneers last century are the Bulgarians from Ocean Fishing – Burgas. Today, Bulgaria is connected to the island through annual expeditions and scientific research, as well as the responsibility to map the region for the needs of all human activities related to the exploration of Antarctica and the exploitation of its resources.

Prof. Ivanov said: «The map is an early example of mapping based on the Reference Elevation Model of Antarctica (REMA) developed by The Ohio State University and the University of Minnesota, a rather promising approach indeed».

Hard copies of the map could be purchased from  Librum(see an electronic version of the map hereby aside sent by our friend Lyubo).

.

We did ask Prof Ivanov about Ham operators at the Bulgarian Base St Kliment Ohridski (WAP BUL-Ø1)or if any activity is planned from there on next summer Antarctic Campaign … maybe some Ham radio operator can put the Bulgarian Base on the air after nearly 20 years!!!  Last one active was VP8/LZ1UQ in 2006 and before LZØA on 1995.

Lyubomir replied: «I do not think there will be any Ham operator at the Bulgarian base in the next season, nor on our Antarctic naval Research Ship “Sv. sv. Kiril i Metodiy” (English: Sts. Cyril and Methodius) for that matter, but if I find out otherwise, I would let you know»

.

.

TNX Prof. Lyubomir Ivanov and congrats for you continuous and invaluable work.

Chapel of  St. Dismas, the first  chapel at McMurdo

Year 1956. The first Chapel at McMurdo Station was built in 1956 by pious U.S. Navy Seabees.  On May 6,1956, the Chapel was consecrated to Our Lady of the Snows and the bell consecrated to Saint Dismas, the good thief.(see Our Lady of the Snow … Old memories by Patrick McCormick, a proud Antarctic veteran – W.A.P. (waponline.it).

At the beginning, it was also known as Chapel of St. Dismas (see the life od St. Dismas at the bottom of this page) after the good thief. Originally there were neither plans nor materials requisitioned to build a chapel, so, they “found” extra materials and built it on their own time. Father Ron O’Gorman of the Christchurch Diocese traveled on an icebreaker and was the first New Zealand priest to celebrate Mass in Antarctica, Dec. 25, 1957.

In preparation for Antarctic research to be conducted during the International Geophysical Year (1957-1958), U.S. Naval Construction Battalion personnel (Seabees) began building McMurdo Station during the 1955-1956 austral summer. The original plans for the station did not include a chapel; instead, religious services were to be held in the station mess hall.

However, according Admiral George Dufek, who commanded Deep Freeze I, “As the construction of the buildings at McMurdo progressed a mysterious pile of lumber, planks, nails, Quonset hut sections, and assorted materials began to accumulate on a knoll overlooking the camp.” Just few years later the Chapel was renamend as Chapel of the Snow (aka Blue Chapel .  Picture aside show how the Chapel was in 1963 and Blue Chapel 1968.

The Chaplain, Father John C. Condit, and volunteers from the construction battalion gradually gathered enough materials to build what was to become the first church ever erected in Antarctica. All of the work was done by volunteers after their daily duties were finished. Admiral Dufek also observed that “The men, after a hard day’s work, would drift over to the church site. Before the main camp was finished a tidy neat church with a steeple was to stand on a ridge overlooking the camp. Later it even had a bell, procured from a small gasoline tanker.” When the Chapel was completed, Father Condit had the world’s most southern parish.

The Chapel of the Snows at McMurdo Station was destroyed by fire on 22 August 1978. No one was injured, but the chapel and almost all its contents were a total loss. For 22 years this simple building provided a place of worship for personnel not only at McMurdo Station (WAP USA-22) but also from nearby Scott Base (WAP NZL-Ø1). 

Year 1979. On Easter Sunday 1979, the second Chapel or the Temporary Chapel was dedicated.
Here some details: A refurbishing of McMurdo Station was planned by the National Science Foundation, and a new chapel was included in the design. To replace the burned Chapel, volunteers converted a quonset Hut near the station’s main building. While they worked to complete this temporary Chapel, the Chalet served as the site for the community’s religious services. However, this building, which normally houses NSF and contractor offices, could not accommodate both Sunday morning services and daily administrative activities during the summer season.

The Temporary chapel built by the community was left abandoned until it too, suffered a fiery demise during a condition 1 storm on 18 May 1991. It caught fire and was totally destroyed. 

Year 1989. The third chapel was designed to replace the previous temporary one in use as such after the 1978 fire until. The new building was dedicated in 1989.
Although the original chapel and the temporary building were built entirely by volunteers, the new building was constructed as part of the National Science Foundation’s plan to refurbish the McMurdo Station. The 2,016-square-foot wood structure contains office space, a central worship area that normally seats 63, and McMurdo’s only organ. Materials to complete the building were salvaged from older structures that were ripped down during the several-year rebuilding of the station.

McMurdo Station once again has a permanent place of worship. To commemorate this occasion, approximately 80 people gathered on Sunday, 29 January 1989 to dedicate the new Chapel of the Snows, which is the third chapel to be raised at the station.

The current Capel, the Chapel of the Snows, is the third in the history of McMurdo. It is the southernmost house of worship in the world.

See also: Churches in Antarctica (oceanwide-expeditions.com)

The Life of Saint Dismas
We don’t know much about the life of Dismas. Most of it is the subject of legend. A popular medieval legend surrounding Dismas’ life is:

While the Holy Family was fleeing to Egypt, they stopped to spend the night in a cave. Living in the cave was a family with a son about the same age as Jesus. Sadly, the infant had leprosy, which was a painful and contagious disease. Mary told the mother of the child to bathe him in the water she had just used to wash our Savior. The mother did as Mary instructed and instantly cured the child. The two boys grew up and learned the trade of their fathers. Jesus preached and went about His ministry. While the other became a thief, like his father. The two men met again on Calvary. One of the thieves, traditionally called Gestas, mocked Jesus claiming if He really was the Son of God he could save Himself and them as well.

But Dismas rebuked him saying that they were thieves and received their punishment justly but Jesus was falsely accused. Then turning to Jesus he apologized and asked, ” Lord, please remember me when you go into your kingdom.” Jesus replied, “Today you will be with Me in Paradise.”
Dismas died around 33 in the year of Our Lord.
Saint Dismas’ Feast Day is March 25 and he is the patron of prisoners (especially condemned) and repentant thieves.

 

Castaway depots on the NZ Sub Antarctic sites

What follows is an abstract of a most complete past  history of Castaway Depots (Huts)  in the remote Sub Antarctic Islands of New Zealand. Most of the Huts and Depots in these islands are listed on the WAP WADA Directory and they just need to be visited by Hams to put such  rare ones on the air.

The Snares Islands in particular (The Snares consist of the main North East Island WAP NZL-10 and the smaller Broughton island as well as the Western Chain Islands) , but also Antipodes Islands (The island group consists of one main island, Antipodes Island WAP NZL-11, Bollons Island to the North, and numerous small islets and stacks), and some never activated islands in the Aucklands Group (Auckland Island WAP NZL-Ø4 & NZL-Ø9 is surrounded by smaller Adams Island, Enderby Island WAP NZL-Ø8, Disappointment Island, Ewing Island, Rose Island, Dundas Island, and Green Island).

Also known as Castaway Huts, Castaway depots were small shelters strategically placed on isolated islands by governments or maritime organisations and equipped with basic supplies and tools to people who survived shipwrecked and found themselves stranded. These little isolated huts tell legendary stories of bravery, adventure and loss, passed down for generations, but was has become of them? Are there any left?

Picture aside: Snares Island Castaway Depot & Research Hut first built by the New Zealand government in the 1880s, is now maintained as an historic site by the Department of Conservation. The use of Castaway depots began in the 19th Century and continued into the 20th Century and typically contained items such as food, water, medical supplies, and other essential items that could help stranded seafarers survive until escape or rescue. The idea was started by the New Zealand government in the 19th century when it erected several depots scattered across the Chatham, Kermadec, and the Subantarctic Islands. One particular island, Disappointment Island, had been named as such due to the frequent occurrence of shipwrecks on the island and its extreme lack of resources. The small hut-like structures could withstand high winds and hurricanes as best as possible for as long as possible in the hopes of saving the lives of potentially shipwrecked men.

There are at least five notable shipwrecks that occurred on the Auckland Islands in which all or most of the crew was saved by the provisions left in castaway depots. The last shipwrecked crew to survive as castaways was the crew of the French barque President Felix Faure that was wrecked off the North Cape of Antipodes Island in 1908. The entire crew made it to shore close to a castaway depot. When all the supplies had been depleted, the crew hunted albatross, penguins, and a single calf; the sole remnant of the cattle that had been set ashore with other supplies by the Hinemoa, a New Zealand government service steamer that serviced and patrolled New Zealand territorial waters. The crew of was rescued by the HMS Pegasus and eventually made a successful return journey to France via Sydney.
Thanks and credit:  A Shipwrecked Sailor’s Guide to Castaway Depots (messynessychic.com)

WAP GBR-31, Damoy Point Hut (Station L) Wiencke Island

Damoy Point is a headland 900 metres west-northwest of Flag Point, the northern entrance point to the harbour of Port Lockroy, on the western side of Wiencke Island in the Palmer Archipelago of Antarctica. It was discovered and named by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under Jean-Baptiste Charcot.

Wiencke Island 64° 49′ 22″ South,  63° 23′ 14″ West, is an island 6 km long and from 3 to 8 km wide, about 67 km2 in area, the southernmost of the major islands of the Palmenr Archipelago  Two structures were erected on the shores of Dorian Bay; the Argentinean Refugio Bahia Dorian (WAP ARG-24) in 1957, and a larger building known as the Damoy Hut in 1973 and used for several years as a British summer air facility and transit station for scientific personnel. It was last occupied in 1993, where it served flights to and from a summer-use ice-strip for aircraft used before the sea-ice cleared near Rothera Base. The Damoy Hut (aka Station L) and its  ice-strip were closed in 1995: the building is now listed as an Historic Site and Monument and is maintained and administered by the United Kingdom Antarctic Heritage Trust (UKAHT).

Both Argentinean Refugio Bahia Dorian (WAP ARG-24) and Damoy Hut (Station L)  WAP GBR-31 have been activated by F5PFP signing respectively LU/FT5YJ and VP8DLM on March 2009. WAP does not have evidence of any other Ham radio activity before that date.

 

Find out more about Historic Site and Monument No. 84 by watching a short video on Damoy Hut. The site is Antarctica’s only protected historic transit facility and skyway, providing shelter and safe passage for scientists. (Courtesy of UKAHT)

Damoy is a well-preserved Hut containing scientific equipment and other artifacts was. It has been designated a Historic Site or Monument  (HSM 84), following a proposal by the United Kingdom to the Antarcti Treaty Consultative Meeting.

For many, this was where they made their first Antarctic landing by ship. “As a first landfall in Antarctica it was hard to beat,” enthuses Steve Garrett, geophysicist. “Surely a candidate for the most beautiful place on Earth.”

The Hut became redundant in 1993 and by 2007 the building was due for demolition. However, it was saved and preserved as “an excellent example of Antarctic logistics and early air operations in Antarctica” helping us to understand the operational challenges of working in Antarctica. It takes its place as Historic Site and Monument No. 84 – one of only 33 buildings, and the sole transit facility, on the continent protected by the Antarctic Treaty.

In 2023, UKART restored the Hut back to its original bright orange. The decision followed paint sampling by our conservation team in 2018 and research by paint scientist and conservator, Phillipa McDonnell, in 2019. The restoration of the original colour scheme improved the legibility of the Hut’s historic function as a transit centre and provides a key hook for the improved interpretation of the site as a whole as well as protecting it from the elements.

The work was undertaken by a small field team of one field guide and two conservation carpenters experienced in conserving historic buildings. They spent nearly four weeks on-site from mid-January, working around challenging weather to strip back the existing paint by hand, prime, and repaint the building to its original bright orange. As with any UKAHT conservation work, the team adhered to strict methodologies to ensure no contamination of the surrounding environment.

.

Thanks and credit to: https://www.ukaht.org/ 

GMØHCQ/MM, RRS Sir David Attenborough

There is still a big demand of contact with Polar Ships and even if some have been worked recently there are other hard to get!

It’s the case of RRS Sir David Attenborough a brand “New One” for many Hams WW!

According to the information in the webpage of Mike Gloistein GMØHCQ, it seems there are some possibility he can be active before too long.

.

Here is the spot : “ I am due back on board the RRS Sir David Attenborough  in late March 2023,  completing the end of the 22/23 Antarctic season with visits to Bird Island,  South Georgia and Rothera, then bringing the ship north to the UK arriving 30th May.

Radio operation is still proving difficult and I did not manage to make any contacts on the passage south.  Depending on workload I will try to get something working when next on board (March to June 2023).”

.

After having left anchor at the Falklands, actually the ship tracker shows the Icebreaker half way from VP8 (Falklands) and the Antarctic Peninsula, heading South.

.

While looking forward  to put GMØHCQ/MM on the log, WAP wish Mike a safe sail.

KC4/OE8NOK – GANOVEX VII-Project Gamble “Camp La Gorce” WAP MNB-19, New Entry

The seventh German Antarctic North Victoria Land Expedition (GANOVEX VII) took place in the austral summer of 1992/93.  

GANOVEX VII Multinational expedition was again funded by the Federal Agency for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR). Expedition leader was Dr. Roland, the ship “PolarQueen” was used, researchers from the various institutes BGR, AWI, DLR, Uni Frankfurt/M and others as well as from Holland, USA and New Zealand were involved, the Americans and a team from Australia took care of the helicopter service.

During GANOVEX VII, Geological and geophysical investigations were carried out on both sides of the Ross Sea: on King Edward VII Peninsula, Marie Byrd Land, in the east, and in Northern Victoria Land and the adjacent Oates Coast in the West.
See: Geology and Geophysics of Marie Byrd Land, Northern Victoria Land, and Oates Coast. GANOVEX VII — Schweizerbart science publishers

For the first time, BGR also carried out research in the GANOVEX Marie-Byrd-Land, Project GAMBLE in the Camp “La Gorce”  at 76°50’ South, 153°41’ West; radio operator was Werner Thonhauser, OE8NOK Austrian radio operator and electronics technician during Ganovex I to VII, signing KC4/OE8NOK.

Marie Byrd Land hosted the Operation Deep Freeze base Byrd Station (originally at 80°S, 120°W, rebuilt at 80°S, 119°W), beginning in 1957, in the hinterland of Bakutis Coast. Byrd Station  (WAP USA-19) was the only major base in the interior of West Antarctica for many years. In 1968, the first ice core to fully penetrate the Antarctic Ice Sheet was drilled here. The year-round station was abandoned in 1972, and after operating for years as a temporary summer encampment, Byrd Surface Camp (WAP USA-20),

Byrd Station (WAP USA-19), was reopened by the United States Antarctic Program (USAP) in 2009–2010 to support operations in northern West Antarctica. USA did set  another large number of Camps at Marie Bird Land, (Bentley camps, J-9 Bern camp, Orset D Camp, Reedy Glacier Camp, Tam Camp, Taylor Camp and Twaites Camp, all listed on WAP-WADA Directory as USA-NEW.

Ham Radio activity from all the USA Stations & Camps on Marie Bird Land  have been referenced  on WAP-WADA Directory  (See: WAP USA-Ø3, Ø4, 14, 18, 19, 2Ø, 3Ø, 35, 41 and 45).

On Ruppert Coast of Marie Byrd Land is the Russian station Russkaya (WAP RUS-12), which was occupied 1980–1990 and now closed East of the Siple Coast off the Ross Ice Shelf, Siple Dome Camp (WAP USA-18) was established as a summer science camp in 1996. Ice cores have been drilled here to retrieve the climate history of the last 100,000 years. This camp also served as a base for airborne geophysical surveys supported by the University of Texas Insistute for Geophisics (UTIG).

In 1998–1999, East Camp (WAP USA-32) was operated at the Ford Ranges (FRD) in western Marie Byrd Land, supporting a part of a United States Antarctic Program (USAP) airborne survey initiated by UCSB and supported by the UTIG flying out of Siple Dome (WAP USA-18).

In 2004–05, a large Camp Thwaites (THW),  WAP USA-NEW, was established by the USAP 150 km (93 mi) north of NBY, in order to support a large airborne geophysical survey of eastern Marie Byrd Land by the UTIG.

In 2006, a major encampment WAIS Divide (WSD) WAP USA-24 (Pic on the Right) was established on the divide between the Ross Sea Embaymnent and the Amundsen Sea Embayment, in easternmost Marie Byrd Land, in order to drill a high resolution ice core. Drilling and coring ended in 2014

 

About Werner Thonhauser, OE8NOK (pic aside),  he is now retired. He was ship electrical engineer and electronics technician, radio amateur, as reported on his professional career, his worldwide seafaring, his activities in the Antarctic, and the state of the art of communication technology at that time.

Training in Austria and Germany. Stations in Wolfsberg, Villach, Munich, Bremerhafen, Bremen. Education at the University of Applied Sciences Oldenburg, Department of Maritime Affairs.
Until 1980 he served as a radio officer on various ships, in 1979 for the first time with the destination Antarctica.  1981-1996 radio officer and electronics technician on board the research vessel POLARSTERN.

For 7-fold participation in GANOVEX Antarctic expeditions for the Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources released as radio officer. Assignment for the “Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar Research” with the task of dismantling the radio system of the “Georg von Neumayer Station” and setting up the communication systems of the new station “Georg Neumayer”.

1996 – 1998 Further training as a state-owned certified marine electrical engineer at the Fachschule für Seefahrt in Flensburg.  1998 – 2000 Service on container ships in the East Asia service.
Thonhauser Rock (1020 m) is a rocky outcrop in Victoria land, Antarctica. It rises in the Bowers Mountains at the western end of Platypus Ridge. It was named by scientists of the German expedition GANOVEX I (1979–1980)after the Austrian Werner Thonhauser OE8NOK, radio operator on the MS Schepelsturm on this research trip.

GANOVEX VII-Project Gamble “Camp La Gorce” 76°50’ South, 153°41’ West , Marie Bird Land, Western Antarctica  is now referenced as WAP MNB-19
TNX Olivier F6EPN
& Heinz OE6HVD

 

BASE SOBRAL,   WAP ARG-Ø3

Sobral Scientific Base ( Base Base Científica Sobral or Base Sobral) was a permanent, all year-round and now only partially active Argentine Antarctic base and scientific Research Station located on the Filchner Ice Shelf at 81°04′05″South, 40°36′01″West. It bears its name in honor of the late 19th and early 20th century Argentine explorer Ensign José María Sobral, who had joined Dr. Otto Nordenskjöld’s ill-fated Swedish Antarctic expedition in 1903. Josè Maria Sobral  was the first Argentine known to winter in Antarctica.

The initial purpose of the Bse was to serve as a stopover on the route of the Argentine expedition to the South Pole, which was reached on December 10, 1965 in the so-called Operation 90.

Sobral Base (WAP ARG-Ø3) was founded on April 2, 1965 by a crew of 5 men from the Belgrano I Base (WAP ARG-Ø5) who sent a message to Buenos Aires the following day urging them to speed up the departure of the polar expedition by the first days of October, given the ice instability. Thus, on October 26, 1965, a group of 10 men left the Belgrano I Base and a few days later arrived at Sobral Base, reaching the South Pole on December 10, 1965.

Sobral Base (420 km south of Belgrano base and 780 km north of the South Pole), could accommodate a maximum of 7 people. Because the ice from the barrier caused cracks in the structures, the Base was closed on October 28, 1968 after 3 years of continuous service, and was quickly buried under the ice of the Filchner barrier. In November 1983, a reconnaissance patrol on Ski-Doo motorcycles with tow sleds, made up of six men, set out for the first time from the Belgrano II Base (WAP ARG-Ø6) with the mission of establishing a new route between Belgrano II and Sobral Base. They managed to locate the objective and reactivate it after 15 years, carrying out maintenance, communications, meteorological measurements and topographic reconnaissance tasks up to the Diamante mountain range, in places not visited by man. After 23 days of exploration, using nine days to go and four to return, they successfully returned to the Belgrano II leaving written testimonies in plastic tubes and marking the path with reeds and banners. After 14 years of this last reactivation, it was not possible to find it in 1997 when a patrol of 4 men from Belgrano II Base went in search of it. That patrol identified the place where the base should be located and established fuel depots for future operations in the region.

On December 13, 1999, a 7 man expedition that repeated the route to the South Pole arrived at the place indicated by the 1997 patrol, finding the remains of stakes and the Argentine flag, as well as fuel drums. The expedition searched for Sobral Base, finding it 11.5 km from its original position, finding the 3-meter-high antenna towers that protruded about 30 cm from the ice. The expedition members excavated the ice and managed to enter the base, staying there for two days.

On 10 October 2000 a six-men research expedition established a scientific camp at Sobral’s emplacement and measured local ozone levels with a spectrophotometer. The temporary occupation was conducted by personnel belonging to Belgrano II and a technician from the National Antarctic Directorate; since then, a new expedition is sent every year between September and December, where the lowest annual average concentration of ozone in Antarctica is recorded.

In order to reach the remote base this team must travel for distances up to 400 km (250 mi) over very rugged ice terrain filled with numerous cracks, which pose an often unpredictable threat. Snowcat heavy vehicles are used to cover half of the route; light vehicles like the Yamaha VK-540 II Ski-Doo are preferred for the rest. The party carries all the necessary equipment for a three-months stay, such as tents, fuel, supplies, survival kits, communication hardware and scientific instruments.

Sobral Base WAP ARG-Ø3, remains one of the most rare sites with very few Hamradio operations. 3 are the callsigns used from Base Sobral: LU1ZZ LU2ZZ and LU3ZRM.

.
TNX Olivier F6EPN (Spratley Woody) for the help in finding old QSL

Viktor Perov,  not just a Russian Antarctic veteran

Viktor Perov piloted aircraft serving the Polar Stations SP-2, SP-3, SP-4 and SP-5. While working in the Arctic, Perov had to rescue people in distress more than once. In 1956, he participated in the rescue of the Norwegian-Swedish-Soviet expedition to Svalbard.

In 1957-1959, Perov worked as part of a Soviet Expedition to Antarctica. December 11, 1958 in the Crystal Mountains (Antarctica, coordinates: 72°00′ South,  29°00′ West. d.HGAO), 250 km from the Belgian Antarctic Station “King Baudouin” (WAP BEL-Ø1), a plane crashed with a Belgian expedition on board. Among the members of the expedition was Prince Antoine de Ligne (fr.) Rus.. The Captain of the Belgians was Gaston de Gerlache. Soviet polar explorers from Mirny Station (WAP RUS-Ø7) offered assistance in their rescue, and the Australian Mawson Sation (WAP AUS-Ø4) supported the flights. Viktor Perov was appointed commander of the aircraft (Li-2 with the tail number H-495) sent to search for them. The search was conducted in the most difficult weather conditions, in the absence of accurate maps and problems in radio communication. The situation was complicated by the unexplored terrain, which the Belgians flew out to map. After several days of searching, on December 16, the Belgian polar explorers were found and rescued. For this feat, Viktor Perov was awarded the Order of Leopold II in 1959, and the Order of the Crown in 2001.

Later, Viktor Perov was chairman of the Polar Commission of the Moscow Center of the Russian Geographical Society and co-chairman of the Soviet-Belgian Friendship Society. He wrote a book of memoirs “Polar Routes”.

TNX Oleg UA6GG (https://www.dxtrophy.com/)

Betbeder Refuge  and Refugio Suecia (Sweden refuge, aka  Nordenskjöld House) WAP ARG-NEW

Nordenskjöld’s Hut  aka Nordenskjöld House (64°21’49” South, 56°59’ 30” West) is a log hut built in February 1902 by the main body of the Swedish South Pole Expedition led by Otto Nordenskjold, who used the Snow Hill  island (aka Cerro Nevado island)  on the east coast of the Antarctic Peninsula as a base to explore the surrounding areas between 1901 and 1903.  Currently,  the Argentine Republic administers it as the Sweden refuge.

Since July 26, 1965 Refugio Suecia is a National Historic Monument of Argentina, by decree No. 6058/1965 and as part of the Province of Tierra del Fuego , Antarctica and South Atlantic Islands. It is also protected by the Antarctic Treaty, which designated it a 38th Historic Site and Monument, through ATCM VII-9 designation of 1972 and following a joint proposal between Argentina and the UK to the Antarctic Treaty  Consultative Meeting

The Argentine Navy took possession of the Refuge on January 8, 1954, renaming it Refugio Suecia and proceeded to its restoration. On that day the frigate Captain Luis T. De Villalobos, commander of the transport ARA Bahia Aguirre, took possession of the Refuge facilities on behalf of the Government of the Argentine Republic and recorded the new name. On the same day in its vicinity the Betbeder Naval Shelter was built.  The Hut was used as a base for reconnaissance research in the summers of 1953-1954 and 1954-1955. In the early 1960s it had a warehouse with provisions for three people for three months. ​

The Refuge has been restored by the Argentine Antarctic Institute. It is enabled as a Museum and contains original objects of the expedition. Its conservation is carried out by Argentina and Sweden.

History
On February 12, 1902, the Swedish Antarctic Expedition led by Otto Nordenskjöld arrived on Cerro Nevado Island aboard the sailboat Antarctic provided with an auxiliary steam engine. The Captain of the ship was Carl Anton Larsen.
The leader of the expedition had to spend the winter on the island along with meteorologist Gösta Bodman, sailor Gustav Akerlund, all of them of Swedish nationality, and Argentine Josè Maria Sobral, ensign. They would carry out meteorological, magnetic, astronomical and hydrographic work, as well as expeditions on the sea ice to the neighboring islands and to the nearby area of the Antarctic Peninsula, a region later known as the Nordenskjold Coast, and which extends to the southwest of the island.​

On the northeast coast of the island a prefabricated wooden hut was mounted, covered externally with cardboard sheets ember bounded. 

Read more at: Hace 56 años declaraban Monumento Histórico Nacional a la cabaña donde invernó el primer argentino en la Antártida – Gaceta Marinera

and

antartic (histarmar.com.ar)

Bunger Hills and Denman Glacier Camp “New Entry” on WAP-WADA Directory

A new deep-Field Camp has been established in the Bunger Hills, near the Denman Glacier in East Antarctica, for scientists to begin studying climate change impacts in the region.

The Camp was constructed over 55 days by a small team of Australian trade and field personnel, who were flown to the site 450 kilometres west of Casey Research Station (WAP AUS-Ø2), in December 2022.

The Team assembled four prefabbricated Huts and 11wooden platforms on a rocky outcrop and the Research site is now ready for major Antarctic Science Campaign. The camp will house up to 40 scientists and support personnel working on and around the glacier next season.

Read more at: https://www.antarctica.gov.au/news/2023/happy-campers-research-site-ready-for-major-antarctic-science-campaign/?fbclid=IwAR2-HPy5OYok2ELPbU583bmgaeLgSfZlqjGAiWqEvW0NNF8ricaOLD-FgSc

Bunger Hills, also known as Bunger Lakes or Bunger Oasis, is a coastal range on the Knox Coast in Wilkes Land, Antarctica, consisting of a group of moderately low, ounded coastal hills, overlain by morainic drift and notably ice free throughout the year, lying south of the Highjump Archipelago. 

Bunger Hills-Deman Glacier Camp  at 66°17’ South, 100°47’ East will enter on WAP-WADA Directory as WAP AUS-NEW

Philaturism:  A new concept in the World Practice of Tourism

Valery Sushkov RW3GW is an Old Timer DXpeditionner and actual President of the Russian Robinson Club (RRC).

Valery is a researcher, postal historian, traveler and marketer, document-list, chief postmaster of the International Society of Philatourism, author of the new concept of “philatourism” in the history of world tourism practice, curator of the Museum of World Postal Communications. Project Manager & Postal Adventure. Visited more than 50 countries of the world, participant and organizer of more than 100 different expeditions on 6 continents, conqueror of the South Pole and Mount Kilimanjaro the highest peak of Africa. Mmember of the Russian Geographical Society,  Society for the Study of the Amur Territory, member of the Union of Journalists of Russia, laureate of the National Prizes of the Russian Geographical Society “Crystal Compass”

Valery  is the author, general producer and project manager of the  Great Russian Travelers. Under the Prism of Philaturism

The great Russian travelers were pioneers and put new lands and seas on the map of the world, made discoveries that enriched world science, pushed the development of maritime trade, and also raised the prestige of their country and contributed to the development of new territories.

See: GREAT RUSSIAN TRAVELERS. UNDER THE PRISM OF PHILATURISM (postventure.ru)

Refugio Teniente Primero Aroldo Serrano. New Entry on WAP WADA Directory

During the last Antarctic Summer Campaign,  a staff from the Argentine Joint Antarctic Command set a shelter for scientific personnel on Vega Island and called it Refugio Teniente Primero Aroldo Serrano. This is a brand new entry on WAP-WADA Antarctic Directory and referenced  as ARG-NEW.  (Pic aside show the building operation of the Refuge)

Vega Island,  57°50’South, 57°33’ West  is a small island to the northwest of James Ross Island, on the Antarctic Peninsula. It is separated from James Ross Island by Herrbert Sound and from Trinity Peninsula by Prince Gustav Channel. The island was named by Otto Nordenskjold, leader of the Swedish Antarctic Expedition (1901–04) in honour of the ship making the first voyage through the Northeast Passage, 1878-79.

Vega island, 17 mi long and 6 mi wide, is the northernmost of the James Ross Island group and lies in the Western part of Erebus and Terror Gulf.  Surveyed by SwAE in October 1903, when its insularity was established, and named Vega  after the Swedish ship Vega used by Baron A. E. Nordenskiöld  (uncle of the Leader of SwAE) in making the first voyage through the Northeast Passage,

TNX Gabry IK1NEG

Mawson’s Huts Replica Museum

The Museum was built to raise funds for the ongoing conservation of the historic buildings at Cape Denison which were used as the main base for the 1911-14 Australasian Antarctic Expedition (AAE)

The Replica Museum is a boutique, world class museum providing visitors with the opportunity to learn and understand the history and achievements of the men of the 1911-14 Australasian Antarctic Expedition led by Douglas Mawson.
Standing on the Hobart waterfront just 200 metres from where Mawson’s expedition departed from in 1911, the Replica also serves as an educational facility and promotes the legacy of the AAE.

The museum promotes awareness of Australia’s involvement in the Antarctic and highlights Hobart as the gateway to the Antarctic continent for the Asia Pacific region.
Situated on land generously provided by the Hobart City Council (HCC), the Replica Museum was constructed off-site in an area provided by the Tasmanian Ports Authority. Construction was done in three sections to allow transportation to the current site where it was bolted together for the final fit-out.
After years of securing funding and the support of the HCC in providing a site, work on the Replica began with the assistance of a special grant of $350,000 from the Federal Government in 2011 and the generosity of many Tasmanian businesses and individuals who donated time, goods and goodwill.
Construction took just four months and it was officially opened on December 2, 2013 on the 102nd anniversary of Mawson’s departure from Hobart as leader of the AAE.

Thanks and Credit to: Replica Museum – Mawson’s Huts Foundation (mawsons-huts.org.au)

Volker Strecke DL8JDX  has been awarded as Antarctic Ambassadors  of the IAATO

Antarctic Ambassadors is a global community of people who love and respect the region, educate others by sharing their Antarctic experiences, advocate for Antarctica when opportunities arise and protect Antarctica by making positive changes at home.

 Volker Strecke DL8JDX  has been awarded as Antarctic Ambassador of the IAATO (International Association of Antarctic Tour Operators).
After a long absence from Antarctica during a “usual” job in IT and Communication for 29 years Volker Strecke DL8JDX, three times wintering in Antarctica, 1988-1989 Georg Forster Station, 1990-1992 Georg Forster Station, 1992-1994 Neumayer II Station, as communication electronician and radio operator,  had the luck and honour to go back again in 2023 as a lecturer and expedition guide, creating Antarctic Ambassadors himself with lectures and carefully guided shore excursions.

Volker wrote: “Since returning I have delivered several presentations using my experience in Antarctica and sharing the history of the Antarctic Treaty.  Antarctic Ambassadorship is important. With ambassadorship it is possible to make visible the importance of the further protection of Antarctica. We see how quickly the climatic changes affect the polar regions. Therefore, everything must be done to at least slow down this process and to give people information on how everyone can contribute directly or indirectly to preserve the sensitive nature of Antarctica for future generations. My presentations on many different occasions and also my work as a lecturer and expedition guide on board expedition ships in Antarctica are a contribution to this.”

TNX and Congrats to Volker Strecke DL8JDX

AXØPB Project Blizzard 1984-1986

Project Blizzard aimed to increase public awareness of Australia’s involvement in Antarctica and, in doing so, conserve Mawson’s Huts. In particular, viewed the scientific work, including meteorological, biological, geological and magnetic research of the AAE, as significant. The organization immediately began to look for financial support from the community, hoping to raise capital for a privately-funded Antarctic expedition. The campaign used the slogan ‘Buy a board for Mawson’s Hut’.

The Project Blizzard team carried out two expeditions to the site, the first in 1984/85 and the second in 1985/86. In 1984/85 their work largely involved recording of the site and structures by surveyors, architects, archaeologists and a materials conservator. The red fibreglass Apple Hut was constructed during this visit, adjacent to the Granholm Hut. In 1985/86, they focused on stabilising the internal platform of the Main Hut, which had partly collapsed under the load of snow ingress, using metal and timber props. This work involved an associated archaeological excavation program in areas disturbed for the works.

The Project Blizzard efforts had two positive effects. They clearly stimulated increased efforts in conservation planning for the site and also led to further co-operative efforts between the public and private sector to conserve the Mawson’s Huts.

In 1986 ANARE returned to Cape Denison. The Sorensen Hut was constructed during this expedition, sited in a valley 500 m to the east of the Main Hut. The structure was composed of insulated metal panels.

Meanwhile, conservation planning for the site had begun. The Antarctic Historic Sites and Monuments Advisory Committee was established in 1986.  In 1993 Michael Pearson prepared a Conservation Plan at the request of the Mawson’s Huts Conservation Committee and the AAD.

Source: Project Blizzard — Home of the Blizzard (antarctica.gov.au)

 

75th Anniversary of Macquarie Island Research Station  (WAP AUS-Ø8)

7th March 1948-7th March 2023
Established on March 7, 1948  Macca celebrates the 75th anniversary of its foundation.

In the early hours of the morning of 7th March 1948, HMALST 3501 (later renamed HMAS Labuan) anchors at Buckles Bay, Macquarie Island 54° 29′ 56″ South, 158° 56′ 17″ East.

The ANARE team had arrived to establish a base that was to be permanently occupied for the next 75 years. The ANARE Club pays tribute to the 1306 men and women expeditioners who have wintered there during these 75 years.
The Voyage Leader of the 1948 Expedition, and Captain of the Ship, was Lieutenant Commander George Dixon

Macquarie Island is located half way between Tasmania and Antarctica and a Station was established on the “green sponge” in 1948. The Island was used as a half way point to establish the first radio link between Australia and Antarctica during Sir Douglas Mawson’s 1911 expedition.
The Macquarie Island Station (WAP AUS-Ø8) ,  commonly called Macca,  is a permanent Australian Subantarctic Research Base, managed by the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD). The station lies at the base of Wireless Hill, between two bays on the isthmus at the northern end of the island.

To celebrate the 75th event, a  special postage-paid envelope has been issued. Release date: 7 February 2023. See: Shop (auspost.com.au) and Australian Antarctic Program: 75 Years – Australia Post (australiapostcollectables.com.au)

New small Chapel at Base Petrel (WAP ARG-17)

Renovation work continues on the infrastructure of the Petrel Joint Antarctic Base (WAP ARG-17) within the framework of its reopening as a permanent Station, during the 2022/23 Summer Antarctic Campaign.

The main advances in the building recovery, are focused on the reconditioning of the rooms and the extension of the sewage network of the main house. While the total restoration of the hangar, includes the reinforcement of the electrical network.

The complete repair of the road to the Main Power Plant, the demolition of the old power plant and the bases of disused communication towers, are part of this second phase of development together with the renovation of the landing strips and the disposal of waste. antarctics

For the construction of the maritime pier, personnel from the Naval Hydrography Service are carrying out bathymetry studies on Dundee Island.

Also,  Petrel Base has already inaugurated its new small Chapel named “Santo Cura Brochero”.

Jose Gabriel del Rosario Brochero (16 March 1840 – 26 January 1914) was a Catholic priest who suffered leprosy throughout his life. He is known for his extensive work with the poor and the sick.. He became affectionately known as “the Gaucho priest” and the “cowboy priest”.
He was beatified on 14 September 2013 after a healing was recognized as a miracle attributed to him. Cardinal Angelo Amato, on the behalf of Pope Francis, presided over the beatification. Another miracle under investigation was approved in 2016 and a date for canonization was approved in a gathering of cardinals on 15 March 2016. Jose Gabriel del Rosario Brochero  he was canonized as a saint on 16 October 2016.
More info at: Argentina reactivates Petrel base in Antarctica | Polarjournal

The Ministry of Defense advances with the reconstruction work of the Petrel Base | Argentina.gob.ar

Dr. Carlos Court Lucero,  Retired Radiologist, Medical Lieutenant of the Argentine Navy Reserve
Member of the 4th crew at the Corbeta Uruguay Scientific Station on Morrell-Thule Island,  South Sandwich Islands did help to find a recent picture of the new Chapel, which will be pubblished  on the Church in Antarctica section here at WAP website.
TNX Dr. Carlos

2022-2023 Antarctic Season’s at its end … how many emotions and beautiful QSOs in the log

Great emotions this year with several Antarctic Stations on our Logs!

Now the operators are almost leaving the Icy Continent;  some are already back home,   others are approaching the return,  others are still on site for another 20-25 days,  as for example the Czeck Team actually at Johan Georg Mendel Station (WAP CZE-NEW) or the Argentineans at Petrel Base (WAP ARG-17) as well as the Overwintering Teams at the several Bases  who areapproaching the loong South Polar night. Our thanks go to the Argentinean operators at Esperanza LU1ZV and  Belgrano II  LU1ZG,  the Russian RI1ANC from Vostok RI1ANU at Bellingshausen,  who are still on,   to continue to be on air  or VU2CUW at Maitri waiting to be on air!.

WAP is following the overwintering Teams  hoping to work some of the operators before too long … but how not to be grateful to David FT4YM for his wonderful activity from the various Antarctic sites , some of which, never worked before! How not to be grateful to the 3YØJ Team for the exciting operation at Bouvet Island another new one for many of us, to Sebastiam VP8/SQ1SGB from Halley 6-a Station and as VP8/SQ1SGB/p from Wolf’s Fang Runway (WFR) together with Oleg Sakharov ZS7ANF that, in addtion to the WFR, he did operate from Whichaway Camp WAP MNB-11. About Oleg, in a message sent to WAP, he wrote:  «300 QSO from WhichAway this time. I came back to WFR after 8 hours car driving. We did close the camp now and we are back to Cape Town»

 

Thanks to Oleg UA6GG-DX Trophy  who sent us  a picture (here on the side) showing some very well known brigade of Antarcticians friends who haven’t seen each other for a very long time,  joining a  festive meeting at Cape Town, South Africa after the tiring experience in Antarctica. (L-R Oleg Sakharov ZS7ANF, Axel Schernikau DL6KVA, Oleg Neruchev ZS1OIN together with a group of ZS Hams).

TNX all the Operators of 2022-2023 Antarctic Season, thank  you for giving us so many emotions again this year!

From Base Esperanza WAP ARG- Ø4

WAP is grateful to Luis Alberto Gomez LU1BR and Roberto Gonzales Gavio LU3CQ  who did share for WAP readers, a video of LU1ZV and its activity from Esperanza Base on the Antarctic peninsula.

This is the first “Radio Buletin Antartico Argentino” with emphasis  to the Ham Radio activity from Antarctic Continent as well as the broadcasting station LRA36 “Radio Nacional Arcangel  Gabriel” at Base Esperanza,  plus other additional information of the Argentina’s activity for the other Research Stations in Antarctica where Ham Radio operators have been always on air.

TNX LU1BR & LU3CQ

February 22, Dia de la Antartida Argentina

On February 22, 1904, the Meteorological Observatory on Laurie Island, South Orkneys which would later become the Orcadas Base  (WAP ARG-15), did start its historic milestone that marked the beginning of Argentina’s uninterrupted stay in Antarctica, which has already been more than 116 years.

 

Thus, Argentina became the Country with the longest stay in Antarctica, and today it is also the Country with the most bases on the Continent: six permanent stations and seven temporary ones that only open in summer. The establishment of Argentina’s Antarctic Bases, during the ’40s, ’50s and ’60s, allowed Argentina to settle in different areas of the so-called Argentine Antarctic Sector

To commemorate the date of that  inauguration, the 22nd February of  each year Argentina celebrates its Antarctica Day, which falls exactly onto the WAP Antarctic Activity Week (AAW), of which, by the way,  this year is the twentieth edition-  The AAW 2023 is  “on air”  till the 26th of February. Check the bands there are several SES active, make contacts and apply for the Special free Award.

.

Check also AAW 2023 at: http://www.waponline.it/antarctic-activity-week/aaw-2023/

1980-81 Argentina’s Summer Campaign- Our Lady of  Lujan enthroned in the Antarctic Base of Corbeta Uruguay. 

Recently, WAP  got a mail from one of our readers: Dr. Carlos Court Lucero Retired Radiologist, Medical Lieutenant of the Argentine Navy Reserve, Member of the 4th crew at the Corbeta Uruguay Scientific Station on Thule Island,  South Sandwich Islands

Carlos,  reports  to  have been to the Scientific Station of Corbeta Uruguay (Estación Científica Corbeta Uruguay), among the  IV Dotation Winter 1981.
The Association Amigos de Villa del Parque (Buenos Aires-Argentina) made a donation of a replica of the Virgin of Lujan “with gaucha figure”, work of the sculptor Dra. Mary Luz Luna, to be enthroned in the Antarctic Base of Corbeta Uruguay

This happened in the southern summer 1980/1981. Our Lady of Lujan,  was located in the Principal House so that  she could have been seen daily by the believing staff.

While thanking Dr. Carlos for his kindmess, we are happy to put another interesting piece of information on the pages of the history of worship and spirituality in Antarctica.
TNX Dr. Carlos Court Lucero

Just briefly about  Corbeta Uruguay Station (WAP ARG-22) on the South Sandwich Islands
in January 1955 the icebreaker ARA ‘General San Martín’ built the Esquivel Refuge (WAP ARG-26) on Morrel Island, which was the first housing facility in the entire archipelago and at that time,  the plan to install a Base nearby did arise. Infact, In the summer of 1976/77 the “Corbeta Uruguay Research Station” was installed 350 meters east of the Esquivel Refuge, and the following summer it was transformed into a permanent base with a crew of ten people, being the first and only presence of this type in that archipelago. We must also recall that, as reported in several documents,  in the summer of 1982/83 the Base Corbeta Uruguay  was dynamited by the British. 

Base Robert Guillard-Cap Prud’homme  WAP MNB-18 (new one)

Robert Guillard Base is a French-Italian station managed by the French Polar Institute Paul-Emile Victor (IPEV) and the Programma Nazionale di Ricerche in Antartide (PNRA)

The station located at 66°41’31″South,  139°53’46″East was established in the early 1990’s on the Antarctic continent, close to the sea and at about 5 km far from Dumont d’Urville Station (WAP FRA-Ø1).

.

Robert Guillard Station is the point of departure of the traverses to Concordia Station (WAP MNB-Ø3) which is equidistant (about 1200 km) from the Italian coastal stations Mario Zucchelli (WAP ITA-Ø1) and the French Dumont D’Urville (DDU). The transfer of personnel, material and scientific equipment from the coastal bases takes place both by air, using two twin-engine aircraft, and by land through convoys of tracked vehicles, called sleepers, departing from Robert Guillard  Station at Cap Prud’Homme, a small jointly (FRA & ITA) managed Base, located near DDU.

.

The PNRA ensures the air transport of personnel and light loads, while the organization of sleepers is entrusted to the IPEV. The Robert Guillard Station can accommodate 20 people and is managed within the agreement for Concordia.

.

FT4YM David Brunet (F4FKT) pic aside  did operate from  Robert Guillard Base on last 11 & 12 febr. 2023 on 20 mts band.

A new WAP Reference  MNB-18 has been issued following the very first activity from this site.

 

TNX David FT4YM & F5PFP

New Light Houses added to the “WAP Antarctic Light House Directory”

Esperanza Base (WAP ARG-Ø4) is located in the extreme northeast of the Antarctic Peninsula in an area free of ice during the summer season that forms a land extension on the southern coast of Esperanza Bay, surrounded by imposing glaciers. It is the northernmost of the facilities that Argentina maintains in the Argentine Antarctic Territory.

On February 17, 18 and 19, 2023, within the framework of the XV edition of the “South American Lighthouses Weekend”,  a “Light Houses”  which were never activated before, very close to the Esperanza Base, will be on  air : the Baliza Rocas denticuladas Posterior Esperanza (aka  Baliza Enfilación Posterior Esperanza)  ANC-007,  at 63°23′54″ South  – 56°59′46″ West, will be activated for the first time.  It’s a round cylindrical fiberglass tower three meters high supported on a cement and stone base, the lower half painted green and the upper half yellow (see pic aside). The light that is projected towards Esperanza Bay,  is white.

Alejandro Álvarez LU8YD, Electronic Engineer and Juan Carlos Benavente LU8DBS, graduate in Social Communication, will be responsible of  the operation, using the LU1ZV base license. The main modes will be SSB and Digital FT8 and FT4, in as many bands as possible, according to the availability of working hours and propagation. The station is already assembled at the headquarters of the LRA36 station, which is in a modernization stage, with the equipment that Alejandro brought to Antarctica, an Icom 7000 with an Expert 1300w Linear Amplifier and a notebook, using the rhombic antenna from the Radio Nacional and it is probable that he will also assemble a G5RV. 
By exception, the operation of LU1ZV on February 17, 18 and 19 only, will be confirmed by the event organizer R.C. GDXBB. digitally by sending the contacts made  to encuentrofaros@gmail.com , eQSL, LOTW and postal via LW6EGE.
Esperanza Base has two Light houses recognized by the ARLHS that were never activated. These are the Anterior Denticulated Rocks, 63°24’ South,  56°59′ West (ARLHS ANC-006) picture to the right  and the Posterior Denticulated Rocks (ARLHS ANC-007) 63°23′54″ South,  056°59′46″ West picture to the left
TNX Carlos Almirón (LU7DSY)

Cape Fie Camp “NEW ENTRY” in WAP-WADA Directory as “WAP NOR-14”

Located at 54°27’South, 03° 28’ East, Cape Fie (or Kapp Fie) is a cape marking the Sutheast extremity of Bouvetøya Island, Peri Antarctic   It was first roughly charted in 1898 by a German expedition under Carl Chun, and was re-charted and named by the Norwegian expedition under Captain Haral Horntvedt  who explored the area from the Norvegia in December 1927

Other Ham radio activites did show up from Bouvet Island in the past, but they were located at Nyrosa  (WAP NOR-Ø2) on the Northwestern side of the Island.

On 6 febr.2023, 3YØJ began his Ham radio activity from there. It has not been an easy task but the Team was finally able to set the Camp on a top flat area at Cape Fie.

Being this one a new Camp site, Cape Fie is entering on WAP-WADA Directory as WAP NOR-14, and at the same time 3YØJ is entering on WAP-WACA Directory as well,  as a new callsign on the list.

While keeping our finger scrossed,  we hope all the best for the continuation of this hard DX-pedition.

WAP, the antarctic hunters, and the entire world of radio amateurs are following the progress of the expedition with great interest.

.

Thanks guys, you are just amazing

CALLING ANTARCTICA 2023,  a Free diploma for the 20th AAW by Paolo IK3GER

As in the past years, Paolo, IK3GER  https://www.ik3ger.it  has issued  a special Diploma  available during the 20th Antarctic Activity Week

 “CALLING ANTARCTICA 2023”   is  a Certificate  free to e OM  & SWL who will contact the SES during the 20th Antarctic Activity Week (19-26 febr.2023). Any AAW SES have a specific WAP reference number which can be used also for WAP Awards.
TNX Paolo, IK3GER

.

The certificate is free, just read the rules how to get it. Click the link here aside Calling Antarctica 2023

S/Y Marama enter in WAP-WACA Directory

S/Y Marama is a custom sailing yacht launched in 2009 by N2A, in France. Designed to give its crew maximum safety regardless of sea and wind conditions,  this extraordinary Yacht seems to be the best choice to sail the Antarctic waters. Everything is oversized on board, from hull sampling to mast and rigging sections, an extremely robust expedition sailboat capable of any type of navigation.

Marama measures 31.00 m in length, with a max draft of 3.50 m and a beam of 6.70 m, with a top speed of 12.00 knots and a cruising speed of 10.00 knots. She is powered by a single screw propulsion system.

Marama accommodates up to 12 guests in 6 cabins. She also houses room for up to 6 crew members. With its multiple voyages to Antarctica, this stupendous sailing ship was chosen by the 3Y0J Team for the 2023 expedition to Bouvet Island.

On the way to the island, operators (*) on board,  did show up /MM and now that the DX expedition has reached the destination and preparing to set up the operational Base camp,  we are pleased to announce that S/Y Manama will be included in the list of Polar ship of the WAP-WACA Directory

(*) VE3LYC/MM, NP4A/MM, DL6KVA/MM, LA7GIA/MM, LB5GI/MM, KO8SCA/MM, KO7SS/MM, AB5EB/MM, WD9COV/MM

Refuge Armada Argentina (aka Groussac Refuge) WAP ARG-18

Volker Strecke DL8JDX is touring around Antarctica on board of a cruise Ship. Yesterday  Volker  sends WAP a couple of pictures; one of this is the Refuge Armada Argentina, also  known as Groussac Refuge (WAP ARG-18) on Petermann island, a small, low and rounded island, lying off the northwest coast of Kyiv in Graham Land, Antarctica, a short distance south of Booth Island and the Lemaire Channel. It is a popular tourist destination.

Opened on February 6, 1955Grussac Naval refuge  (65° 10’ 33” South, 64° 08’ 10” West), on Petermann Island,  was originally named to Hipólito Bouchard.,  It takes its current name in homage to Paul Groussac (1848-1929), a  French writer and historian based in Argentina and author of an allegation about the Argentine sovereignty of the Falkland Islands. Close to this  Argentine naval refuge ( an old corrugated iron shack in rusted colors), lays a simple cross monument, an unreadable metal plaque  with  just one word “John” recalls the dead of a man of the British Antarctic Survey, who tried to get here over the sea ice in 1982..

On Peterman Island,  there  is a cairn  (the original one is in Paris at Museum National d’Histoire Naturelle) erected on the hill in 1909. The cairn, with a replica plaque, has been designated a Historical site or Monument (HSM 27), following a proposal by Argentina, France and the United Kingdom.

TNX Volker DL8JDX

KC4USH: Cape Adare or Cape Hallett?

Cape Adare is a prominent cape of black basalt forming the northern tip of the Adare Peninsula and the north-easternmost extremity of Victoria  Land, East Antarctica and an important landing site and Base Camp during early Antarctic Exploration.

Cape Adare is the site of  Borchgrevink’s Hut, and  Terra Nova Expedition’s Hut where members of the Northern Party of Scott’s Terra Nova  Expedition over-wintered in 1911 and 1912. They also erected another hut, which has fallen into ruin today., This site have been designated a Histopric Site or Monument (HSM 22), following a proposal by New Zealand and the United Kingdom to the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting. This site belongs and his administered by New Zealand.

As yet, there is no evidence of amateur radio activity being performed from this site,  so it remains listed on WAP-WADA Directory as  WAP NZL-NEW.

Map above show both Adare Cape  and Hallett Cape

Cape Hallett, located 63 miles (101 km) to the South of Cape Adare, is a snow-free area on the northern tip of the Hallett Pensula on the Ross Sea coast of  Victoria  Land, East Antarctica.  he cape was the location of a joint scientific base, Hallett Station, (WAP MNB-08) between the United States and New Zealand during the International Geophisical Year of 1957, and was manned permanently until 1964, when there was a major fire. It was then used as a summer only base until 1973. 

.

The callsign of Hallett Base (WAP MNB-08) was KC4USH; with several QSLs issued (See pics here aside); some of KC4USH QSL cards,  reports Cape Adare which was probably meant to be Cape Hallett.

Pic to the Right:  Cape Hallett Station in 1961-1962 showing the elevated radar weather-balloon tracking dome that was reportedly used for plant growth as early as 1958 (Image credit: John Cranfield ©Antarctica New Zealand Pictorial Collection [ANZSC0163.2][1961-1962]).

 

History

In 1899 the Norwegian explorer Carsten Borchgrevink sailed to Antarctica aboard the converted scaler Southern Cross. At Cape Adare, Borchgrevink and nine compan­ions built a Hut and established an expedition Base Camp. During the next six months, Borchgrevink and his team became the first men to overwinter on the southern conti­nent. A 28-year-old zoologist in the party died and be­came the first individual buried on the continent. When Borchgrevink returned to Europe in the spring of 1900, he had, in effect, started a race for the South Pole that would be won in 1911 by his boyhood friend, Roald Amundsen.

The site was revisited both by Robert Falcon Scott’s British National Antarctic Expedition (1901-1904) and by his Terra Nova expedition (1910-1913). Pic below show the Borchgrevink’s Hut

Members of the Northern Party of Scott’s Terra Nova  Expedition over-wintered at Cape Adare in 1911 and 1912. They also erected one hut, which has fallen into ruin today. The remains of two Borchgrevink’s Hut, as well as those of the Terra Nova Expedition’s hut, have also been designated a Histpric Site or Monument (HSM#22), following a proposal by New Zealand and the United Kingdom to the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting.

Read more at: Cape Adare Camp Completed | Antarctic Heritage Trust (nzaht.org)

 

The web shows a book titled “The United States Coast Guard and Borchgrevink’s hut at Cape Adare, Antarctica, 1961.  DEEPFREEZE 61 TASK FORCE 43 1961.pdf (navy.mil)

Check page 154/157 for some mention of Cape Hallett/Adare

It was Norwegian explorer, Carsten Borchgrevink and his expedition team who started building the huts on 20 February 1899 on the remote site. The main Living Hut was constructed to house the expedition party along with a Stores Hut for their provisions. The party moved in a few days later, on 1 March, the day the Southern Cross sailed, leaving the men to spend several months in cramped, uncomfortable isolation. On 24 July 1899, it was lucky one of the buildings survived, when a candle set the hut lining alight. Later in the year, one of the men, Nicolai Hanson, suffered a debilitating illness, and died in the hut on 14 October 1899, becoming the first person to die on the Antarctic Continent.

When the Southern Cross returned for the party on 28 January 1900, the men started to dismantle the Stores Hut, removing its roof, with the intention of taking it with them to use elsewhere. However, they left on 2 February 1900 before completing this task and it wasn’t until 18 February 1911 that the Huts at Cape Adare were occupied again, following the arrival of Scott’s Northern Party (led by Victor Campbell). As well as erecting their own kitset wooden hut, they made good use of what was left of Borchgrevink’s encampment, covering the unroofed Stores Hut with canvas to make a storeroom, and utilizing the Living Hut as a gymnasium and darkroom.

Since the Northern Party’s departure from Cape Adare, there have been only sporadic visits to the remote site. New Zealand parties visited a couple of times during the 1960s and 70s to undertake repairs, before Canterbury Museum sent an expedition party to the site in 1982 to carry out maintenance work, complete drawings of the huts, and document the artefacts.

The first party from Antarctic Heritage Trust visited in 1990 and carried out significant preservation works to the huts. This focus continued on the Trust’s next visit in 2003, when condition reports for the artefacts were also completed.

More latterly, during the summer season of 2015–2016, a small team from the Trust spent two weeks at Cape Adare gathering close to 1500 artefacts from one of the huts and carrying out further repairs and maintenance. The artefacts were later conserved in Christchurch, and seven of these very special items now feature on the Trust’s AR App.

More links of Cape Adare at:

Cape Adare | Antarctica NZ

Borchgrevink’s Hut | Antarctic Heritage Trust (nzaht.org)

Visitor Site Guidelines – 45. Cape Adare (ats.aq)

 

Volker DL8JDX travelling around Antarctica

Our friend Volker Strecke DL8JDX is  an Antarctic veteran who spend several years in the Icy Continent.

After a 19 hours flight, Volker did land at Ushuaia (WAP ARG-23), then he moved to  Punta Arenas-Chile,  where he had a chance to meet Luis CE8EIO (picture aside show DL8JDX meeting with Luis CE8EIO in Punta Arenas in Front of the Magellan Memorial).

.

Volker did ask Luis to be on air for EU and indeed CE8EIO has been on 28508 all afternoon of Saturday Jan. 21 making some hundred QSOs with EU, giving many a chance to log WAP CHL-13 (TNX DL8JDX & CE8EIO).

.

Actually, Volker is embarked on a cruise ship as a lecturer and Tour Guide (no possibility for Radio… ) at an Antarctica expedition. The trip is including  Argentina, Chile, South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula and will last till  Feb. 18th, 2023.

The cruise is going to  South Shetlands and Antarctic Peninsula were visiting King George Isl., Half-Moon-Island, Port Locktoy, Melchior Island and Petermann Island.

.

Yesterday,  jan 21st, the Polar ship passed near Half Moon Island where the Argentine Summer Station Teniente Camara  (WAP ARG-16) is located (see the pic aside sent by Volker)

Volker said: “After 29 years from my last return from the Antarctic in 1994 I am really happy to be back here again. In my second home …”

.

WAP is proud and happy to follow the trip, pity that it is not possible to do radio activity from there, but we thanks Volker DL8JDX anyway to share his new experience with us!  

Whaling Station Port Jeanne d’Arc Kerguelen, WAP FRA-Ø5

Nearly 15 years ago, a major restoration project had been taking place at the old abandoned whaling station at Port Jeanne d’Arc. This had been built late in the 19th century by a Norwegian company and abandoned early last century when factory ships made land-based whaling uneconomic. For years the weather and vandalism had been destroying the station, until Jean-François Le Mouël convinced the administration of TAAF  that it should be preserved.

The Kerguelen Islands are located at 49°15′South, 69°35′East. The main island, Grande Terre, originally called Desolation Island, is 6,675 km² and it is surrounded by another 300 smaller islands and islets, forming an archipelago of 7,215 km².
Satellite Islands
The following is a list of the most important adjacent islands:
Île Foch in the north of the archipelago, at 49°0’ South, 67°19’ East, is the largest satellite island with an area of 206.2 km² (79.61 mi²). Its highest point, at 687 m (2,254 ft.), is called La Pyramide Mexicaine.
Île Howe, which lies less than one kilometer off the northern coast of Ile Foch is, at ~54 km² (21 mi²), the second most important off-lier in the Kerguelens, 48°52’South, 69°27’ East.
Île Saint-Lanne Gramont, is to the west of Île Foch in the Golfe Choiseul. It has an area of 45.8 km² (17.68 mi²). Its highest point reaches 480 m (1,575 ft.), 48°55’South, 69°12’ East.
Île du Port, also in the north in the Golfe des Baleiniers at 49°11’South, 69°36’ East, is the third largest satellite island with an area of 43 km² (16.6 mi²); near its center it reaches an altitude of 340 m (1,115 ft.).
Ile de l’Ouest, west coast, about 40 km² (15.44 mi²), 49°21’South, 68°44’ East.
Île Longue, southeast, about 40 km² (15.44 mi²), 49°32’South, 69°54’ East  is the largest island in the Golfe du Morbihan. Port-Bizet, on the northeastern coast of the island, is the site of a seismographic station and also served until 2012 as the principal farm for the island’s resident flock of about 3,500 Bizet sheep, which were raised to feed the base personnel at Port-aux-Français. The species, endemic to the Massif Central region of France, was first introduced to Kerguelen in 1952.
Îles Nuageuses, northwest, including Île de Croÿ, Île du Roland, Îles Ternay, Îles d’Après, 48°37’South, 68°44’ East.
Île de Castries, 48°41’South, 69°29’ East.
Îles Leygues, north, including Île de Castries, Île Dauphine, 48°41’South, 69°29’ East.
Île Violette, 49°07’South, 69°40’ East.
Île aux Rennes, also known as Reindeer Island or Australia Island, in the western part of the Golfe du Morbihan, area 36.7 km² (14.17 mi²), altitude 199 m (653 ft.), 49°27’South, 69°51’ East.
Île Haute, western part of the Golfe du Morbihan, altitude 321 m (1,053 ft.), 49°23’South, 69°55’ East.
Île Mayès, 49°28’20”South, 69°55’55” East.

Here below an abstract of the history:

The exploitation of marine resources on the Kerguelen Plateau only began in 1790 (18th century) after the discovery of the northern Kerguelen Islands in 1772. Salted fur seal (Arctocephalus gazella) skins was the first product to be commercialized by Nantucket (USA) and London (UK) ship-owners, mainly on the Kerguelen Islands, and by the early 19th century the seal colonies were decimated.

https://youtu.be/dwAcpFxBGzE

Exploitation of marine species on the Kerguelen Plateau began soon after the discovery on 13th February 1772 of the northern Kerguelen islands by the expedition of Y.J. de Kerguelen de Trémarec with the Gros Ventre and the Fortune.
The first sealing voyages (1791-1793) were reported from the United States of America and United Kingdom twenty years later. For more than 50 years during this early period, sealing occurred only around the Kerguelen islands. It was only with the development of whaling and sealing voyages in the region that sealers from the north-eastern coast of the USA discovered the second and southern sealing ground on the plateau, Heard and mcDonald islands, during the 1853-1855 cruise of Corinthian.
The exploitation of marine resources on the Kerguelen Plateau only began in 1790 (18 th century) after the discovery of the northern Kerguelen islands in 1772. salted fur seal (Arctocephalus gazella) skins was the first product to be commercialized by Nantucket (usa) and london (uK) ship-owners, mainly on t Phase 1, 1908-1911: the whaling station at Port Jeanne d’Arc and the Mangoro campaign (1910).
A 50-years exclusive licence was granted to the Bossière brothers by the French government in 31 July 1897 for the exploitation of the Kerguelen Islands. During the rst period (1908-1911) they transferred the rights to two companies, Aktieselskabet Kerguelen and Société des Pêcheries de Kerguelen (Arnaud and Beurois, 1996).  Storm, Bull & Co. which was active from 1908-1911 established a whaling factory station at Port-Jeanne d’Arc in Morbihan Bay.

The oil carrier Jeanne d’Arc (76 m, 1332 t) and three whale catchers (two sister ships Espoir and Éclair, 51 m, 540 t, and Etoile, 30 m, 165 t) were linked to the station. The total whale catch resulting from this activity was 442 whales (95% humpback, the balance right whales). Their best year was in 1908 when 232 whales were caught and a total of 13 760 barrels of oil were produced. Activity progressively shifted to hunting elephant seals with peak production in 1911 of 10 680 barrels and a total production of 17 000 barrels of oil. However, the activity was not profitable enough and the station fell into disuse.

Read more at: History of whaling, sealing, fishery and aquaculture trials in the area of the Kerguelen Plateau | French Ichthyological Society – Cybium (sfi-cybium.fr)

OE, Austria @ Antarctic Activity Week 2023

Another 3 entries on the 20th AAW going to start next february 19, 2023.

Austria with its 4 participants, appears to be the most represented Country.

.

Congratulations to OE3DMA, OE3KKA, OE3AIS and OE3SGA for their continued presence to celebrate the annual event that leads to being close to Antarctica, to the scientific research,  in memory of so many explorers and scientists who have been studying and working in this fascinating Continent for over 100 years.

.

 

OE3DMA, Alex          will be OE2ØANT      WAP-348

OE3KKA, Karl           will be OE88WAP       WAP-088

OE3AIS, Bert           will be OE89ANT        WAP-089

OE3SGA, Gus          will be OE9ØANT       WAP-090

Good job guys, keep up the good work!

Check the list of the OMs who have already confirmed their presence at the 20th edition of the Antarctic Activity Week at:
http://www.waponline.it/antarctic-activity-week/aaw-2023/

.

Be ready, join us and enjoy Antarctica as much as we do!

An unforgettable experience on the White Continent for Chilean students

After six days of activities on the White Continent, a new version of the Antarctic School Expedition (EAE) organized by the Chilean Antarctic Institute (INACH) ended successfully. In this instance, the winning students of the XVIII Antarctic School Fair (FAE) participated in the company of their teachers and adult guides, who were able to comply with a scientific program that allowed them to learn about the work of polar researchers.

The group was made up of eight young people (all women) from the communes of Arica, Talagante, Linares, Parral, Constitución and Futaleufú, who were accompanied by four teachers and two adult guides. Between December 13 and 19 they were on King George Island to complete an interesting scientific-pedagogical program prepared by INACH professionals. The operations center was the Professor Julio Escudero base  (WAP CHL-Ø7), where they were received by their chief scientist, the marine biologist Francisco Santa Cruz, and were introduced to the scientists who carry out their research in the sector, in addition to the logistics personnel who were there. 

Read more at: An unforgettable experience on the White Continent lived the winning students of the Antarctic School Fair – INACH

LU8AEU/MM FRAGATA A.R.A LIBERTAD

ARA Libertad  is a tall ship which serves as a school ship in the Argentine Navy. She was built in the 1950s at the Rio Santiago shipyards near Buenos Aires, Argentina. Her maiden voyage was in 1962, and she continues to be a school ship with yearly instruction voyages for the graduating naval cadets.

She has just finished (April 2007) undergoing a general overhaul which includes the addition of facilities for female cadets and crew in line with current diversity policies in the Navy and the updating of the engines and navigation technology.

The Directorate of Communications of the Argentine Navy through the Auxiliary Service of Radio Amateurs of the Navy, issue a special free cerificate to the Hams who worked  LU8AEU/MM, Fragata A.R.A Libertad during her training trip “Number 50” in the past year 2022

To get the Diploma, which will be sent via e-mail, just go to LU8AEU – Callsign Lookup by QRZ Ham Radio and click the logo (same of this one here below).

 

You will enter into the form which has to be filled (Callsign, Name and Surname in capitol letters, your email where you wish to receive the Certificate, GMT time,  Band and mode). When you finished, press SEND.  Certificate will shortly come at your mailbox adress.

.
TNX  SARA-Servicio Auxiliar de Radioficionados de la Armada

A master roofer will repair the Czek Johan Gregor  Mendel Station in Antarctica

Master roofer Dimitris Georgiadis (picture aside) will leave for Antarctica in mid-January and will be there until March. He will travel to the icy continent with scientists from Masaryk University in Brno, who are investigating climate change in Antarctica and solving dozens of research projects, including the effect of harsh polar conditions on the human organism.

The Mendel Polar Station (WAP CZE-NEW) on James Ross Island near the Antarctic Peninsula (see picture to the Right) is a showcase of Czech science. The master roofer must now ensure that it does not leak. On the main building of 250 square meters, he will lay a new PVC film with the help of a heat gun. If the weather is favorable, with the help of two technicians from the expedition, he will have everything ready in a week or so.

Then, in turn, he will help the technicians maintain the station while looking over the researchers’ shoulders as cutting-edge science is done. “I’m really looking forward to that too” Dimitris added with a smile, “I’m curious what awaits me. I have never driven so far for work”

His task will be to put a new roof on Johan Gregor  Mendel’s scientific base; the original expired after 15 years. 

Pavel Kapler, manager of the Czech Antarctic Research Program, can find anything for polar explorers, from new technical equipment for the station to quality thermal underwear, but getting a roofer to Antarctica was a chore.  In the mean while, ther’s some possibility that Ham Radio operation could also be performer from the unnumbered Mendel Station…never say never!  

Read more at: https://www.novinky.cz/clanek/domaci-stanici-v-antarktide-opravi-pokryvac-z-jeseniku-40418720?fbclid=IwAR2Ca-PUSr16vifN0GbI8pP7ppNfOC3IoL38eeJBIuAd-DZcNo-6YKUtukg

Base Naval Petrel (WAP ARG-17), a huge project of modernization

Petrel Base (WAP ARG-17) was commissioned in 22 febr. 1967. It was operated year round until 1978 and then, as a summer station. In the Antarctic season 1995/96 it was abandoned. The Station, is now to be reactivated. Work is advancing so that Petrel is coming to become a permanent base again after 40 years.

Back in 2013 a plan was drawn to reactivate  the Petrel Base as a permanent logistic center on the Antarctic Continent. Argentinean Teams start going to Petrel Base every summer to do small jobs. This involved making repairs around the house and bringing in some appliances and disposing from old garbage.

As of November 2022 Petrel became once again a permanent Base. A team of 18 is still there to carry out the necessary works to restore the infrastructure throughout the year. Another goal is to build a 1800 meters main runway and a secondary 1300 meters secondary runway where the Hercules C130 or smaller aircraft can operate. In addition personnel  will carry on hydrographic studies to determine the most suitable location for the construction of a dock that will allow operations with shipload.

In the mean time a major project to modernize Base Petrel in underway.  The “Petrel Joint Antarctic Base” will have a thermal housing modular house that will be built by Tandanor (acronym for Talleres Navales Dársena Norte).

A state of the art Antarctic home is planned, designed under the self-sustaining concept, which will cover not only all functional requirements, but also housing requirements in accordance with modern construction techniques.

The house will have an operational capacity of 60 people from the permanent staff, and 80 who are in transit, reaching a total capacity of 140 places, and the infrastructure to promote scientific research on Dundee Island.

Petrel functioned as a permanent base from 1967 to 1976, when a fire destroyed the main lodging house. With its reconstruction, this Base will form part of the Antarctic Logistics Pole next to the city of Ushuaia.

RI3ØANT,  Vostok Station- 30 years of RRC

To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of  Russian Robinson Club (RRC) a Special callsign RI3ØANT will operate from Vostok Base (WAP RUS-13) from January 1 to March 31, 2023.

Alex UG1A (ex.RD1AV), Ivan UB1AQB and Zahar (ex.UH4NAE) will be active during their spare time, all bands all modes. QSL via  RZ3EC

The ufficial call of Vostok Station (WAP RUS-13), Antarctica RI1ANC will continue to be on air untill March 2024. QSL via RN1ON, CL OQRS Buro ONLY, Direct, Buro. 

TNX Eugene RZ3EC & Oleg UA6GG-DX Tropy

New Zealand Sub Antarctic Islands

New Zealand Sub-Antarctic Islands consist of five island groups: Snares, Bounty Islands, Antipodes Islands, Auckland Islands and Campbell Island,  in the Southern Ocean south-east of New Zealand. The islands, lying between the Antarctic and Subtropical Convergences and the seas, have a high level of productivity, biodiversity, wildlife population densities and endemism among birds, plants and invertebrates.

.

.

According to the recent “new wording”  of the islands involved,  which are now known as “New Zealand Sub-Antarctic Islands”  versus the previous diction of  “New Zealand Outlying islands” WAP have already add  on Section 2 of the WAP-WADA Directory , few of them with their related references. As soon as new evidences of other Ham radio activities from different sites on the islands, they will be insert on WAP Directories. 

Here below one of those:  

Snares Castaway Depot & Research Hut  WAP NZL-10
Snares Islands-New Zealand Sub-Antarctic Islands
48° 01’South, 166° 32’East

The Castaway Depot built by the New Zealand government in the 1880s, is now maintained as an historic site by the Department of Conservation. (picture on the Right, show the old Depot

.

The dining tent used in 1947 was sited where the current research hut is located. The corrugated iron structure  and the wood one is the same building.

.

A video of the Snares is available here: https://youtu.be/_sPK92Oddig  

Hallett Station WAP MNB-Ø8 (USA-NZ)

Cape Hallett 72°19’ South, 170°16’ East,  was the location of a joint scientific base, Hallett Station, between the United States and New Zealand during the International Geophysical Year of 1957, and was manned permanently until 1964, when there was a major fire.

Hallett Station  was then used as a summer only base until 1973. The site is currently being remediated by removing hazardous materials: fuel, and oil stored in several large tanks. This is an ongoing project which will take several years to complete.

At the time, thirty Navy men and scientists were stationed at a “rookery” near Hallett Station from October through February to study the over 100,000 Adelie penguins which populate the area. These birds, 18 inches tall and weighing 14 pounds, return annually to breed and raise their young. An area of 74 ha, is protected under the Antarctic Treaty System as Antarctic Specially Protected Area (ASPA) No.106 because it contains habitats with a rich and diverse range of plant communities that are the most extensive and representative examples known at the northern end of the latitudinal gradient of Victoria Land and the Ross Sea.

The only activity known from Hallett Station (WAP MNB-Ø8) was ZL5AC Ken Bargh (QSL aside)  who did operate from there in 1958 but also, on WAP-WADA Directory there is another ZL5AC but from Scott Station (WAP NZL-Ø1).

Now thanks to a couple of Antarctic veteran, Volker Strecke DL8JDX and Alan Cresswell ZL2BXWAP is proud to retrace a bit of that time, about this ZL5AC’s twins.
In a message sent to Volker DL8JDX, last Febr.3rd,   Alan Cresswell ZL2BX (alancresswell@xtra.co.nz) wrote: -With regard to ZL5AC, I was in the Antarctic in 1974.  Firstly at  the New Zealand research station at Scott Base,  and then at the American Byrd Station on the Polar Plateau. My operating was restricted to visits to Scott Base as I was unable to operate from Byrd Station so,  I only managed a few hundred contacts. Most of my operating outside NZ was done  in my time in the Pacific Islands (ZK1AM, ZK1DR) where I had over 100.000 contacts. 73, Alan ZL2BX-

Alan  mentioned about Byrd Station.
It will be interesting to have more details  in particular about  Byrd Coast Camp  WAP USA-NEW  which is still unnumbered on WAP WADA Directory  but this  will another item to search for !
Here below a list of the actually referenced Byrds  sites:
1) Byrd VLF Substation (aka Longwire), WAP USA-Ø3
2) Byrd Station (aka Old Byrd Station), WAP USA-19
3) Byrd Surface Camp,  WAP-USA-20
5) Byrd Radio Noise Outpost (aka Conjugate Point Station), WAP USA-35
6) Byrd Aurora Substation.  WAP USA-41
7) Temporary Byrd Surface Camp,  WAP USA-45
8) Byrd Coast Camp,  WAP USA-NEW

Perhaps some Old Timers/Antarctic Veteran might recall some rare memories of that frame of the Antarctic era and help WAP to know a bit more.

 

KØANT (WAP-198) Signed-up for the AAW 20th Edition

Our US friends from Kansas are just welcomed on board of next Antarctic Activity Week

Jim, KBØMZFwrote:
Please show the KØANT (K0ANT – Callsign Lookup by QRZ Ham Radio) club (WAP-198) registered for the 20th Edition of the Antarctic Activity Week – 19-26 February 2023.
Hoping all is well with you.  We always enjoy the great pictures you post on the web.  We miss seeing you on our Saturday video club meetings, but we have not been using Zoom since the COVID pandemic has been less of a concern. Looking forward to talking (by text, by RF, by pictures, and any other means possible) again soon. Sending copies to our club President, Don Whitney, and our good friend, Edmondo VA3ITA, in Toronto.  Hope it’s a good year for all!
Jim Vano, KBØMZF
Trustee and Secretary for KØANT

WAP did also appreciate the comment from Don, KCØWTT Club President:
«Hopefully we’ll have better AAW participation from our Club members this coming February. The past few years, between weather or the Kansas City Zoo policies, or COVID interfering with our remote Club operation has been disappointing. But it is a fabulous and educational event, and our Members like not only the event taking place, but the great information from the website about all the Antarctic news. We are looking forward to this event in 2023».
Sincerely, 
Don Whitney  KCØWTT

TNX to Jim KBØMZF, to Don KCØWTT and to all the great friend on KØANT Club

WAP Antarctic Bulletin nr. 294

WAP Antarctic bulletin nr. 204 is available online.
Check: http://www.waponline.it/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/bull294.pdf

This one, is last bulletin of the year 2022 with the main information of Ham Radio activity from the Icy Continent  and the Peri Antarctic areas, as listed on WAP-WADA Antarctic Directory which contains nearly 1,000 Bases, Huts, Refuges,  Stations and Field Camps , all classified, sorted and numbered, according  to the Country of origin.

Bulletin is edited by Max IK1GPG, Betty IK1QFM & Gianni I1HYW